The James River is a beautiful river and well worth experiencing, but parts of it are dangerous, so we HIGHLY recommend checking out these sites before you go to get a good perspective on your trip. Educate yourself and scout the route for safety!
- James Riverwatch - River conditions map
- USGS Real-time streamflow data Scroll down the page for the James River basin sites.
- American Whitewater
- James River Runners
- National Weather Service Mid-Atlantic River Forecast Center
- Virginia Rainfall map
- National Water Information System: Mapper
- National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service- with links to James River data
- NOAA's Chesapeake Bay Interpretive Buoy System- provides important information on current conditions, living resources, and launching points for your trip to see the buoys
James River Webcams
- The Shad Cam at Boshers Dam in Richmond (Only runs March to early June)
- The James River in Surry County
- James River Bridge Falcon Cam in Newport News, VA
- James River Bridge in Carrollton, VA
- The James River in Portsmouth, VA