DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
The James River Association (JRA) is seeking a Director of Development to be based in their headquarters office at Rocketts Landing in Richmond, Virginia.
Summary of Responsibilities
The Director of Development will manage JRA’s fund development efforts by strengthening and expanding its major donor support from individuals, corporations and foundations. Working with the CEO and the Board of Directors, the position will manage, identify and implement strategies for developing relationships with a diverse base of major funders in support of current and future needs. The Director of Development will oversee the grants manager and serve on the JRA management team along with the CEO, Director of Marketing and Membership and the Program Director.
The Director of Development will contribute to the development and implementation of the JRA vision, create and implement long- and short-term advancement plans, staff appropriate Board and non-board committees and serve as the senior advisor to CEO and Board on all matters related to fund development initiatives. The position reports to the CEO and supports strategic initiatives by engaging development efforts to increase the assets of JRA.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
Ensure that James River Association fund development activities are consistent with and complementary to the overall direction of the James River Association. Born out of JRA’s strategic plan, the Director of Development will have responsibility for generating an annual Development Plan. The Development Plan will be tactical in nature and include measurable outcomes that focus on the basic five (5) I’s of a comprehensive development program: identification, interest, information, involvement and investment. The plan will assure that JRA maintains strong support through grants and focuses on growing major gifts.
2. Fund Development
Oversee, identify and implement strategies for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a diverse base of major funders in support of current and future needs. Assure a donor-centered orientation to all communication and contact with donors and prospective donors. The donor experience should be the driving value in determining staff assignments, policies and procedures and communication.
- Achieve fund development goals within established timelines and approved expense budgets.
- Monitor status of grants assuring good coordination through the Grants Manager and Program Director positions.
- Focus on expanding JRA’s major donor program by growing individual, corporate and foundation donors. Assure that the right person (staff and/or volunteer) contacts the right prospective donor-investor (determine relationships) in the right manner (face to face, writtenproposal)with the right ask (project and amount) at the right time (as defined by the donor versus JRA).
- Plan major donor oriented special events to both raise funds and cultivate donors. Identify and help secure major sponsors and develop and implement strategies to utilize special events for donor cultivation.
- Create and implement a planned giving program to build an endowment through a combination of outright, life-income and deferred gifts.
Assume primary responsibility for developing a systematic and disciplined approach to engaging each Board member in the development process. Respecting individual Board member preferences, the Director of Development will partner with the Fund Development Committee in the goal of 100% participation by the Board with time, talent and treasure.
Plan and oversee preparation for staffing the Fund Development Committee meetings.
4. Budget Management
Develop annual income/expense budgets for fund development. Monitor expenditures and operate within budget.
Compensation: JRA offers a dynamic and flexible work environment and a competitive benefits package, including 20 days of paid time off in Year 1, health, vision, life and dental insurance, and a matching program for tax deferred retirement accounts. Salary will be commensurate with experience. JRA is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter with salary history by email to email@example.com or by mail to:
James River Association
4833 Old Main Street
Richmond, VA 23231
The position will remain open until filled, but priority will be given to resumes received by December 1, 2014.